How to RootEdit
If you choose to root using your phone only by passing the above "Prep your Computer" and "How to Prepare your Phone" , see Phone section below.
- First off download the attached zip file at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7185657&postcount=1
- Rename the zip file to update (or update.zip if you show all extensions)
- On your phone go to settings>applicatons>USB Settings then select USB Mass Storage.
- Next, go to settings>Applications>Development and select USB Debugging.
- With the phone plugged in to your pc, pull down the notification menu on your phone and select usb connection. On the new window that pops up, select mount.
- When windows asks you what to do, select open folder. Then drag update.zip into the root directory.
- After it is finished copying, unplug your phone from your computer and turn the phone off.
- Boot your phone into recovery by holding the volume up and down button while pressing the power button. After a few seconds, keep holding down the volume up and down buttons, but release the power button.
- Use volume up and down to select reinstall packages and then press the power button. Allow it to update.
- Once you reboot, your phone should be rooted.
- Pat yourself on the back.
- Lastly make sure you thank blackjackboy, who also cites LesHack, Justadude, and Chaoscentral, for this part of my guide.
- If you had trouble, head on over to blackjack’s thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725555. There’s plenty of great intel there, and your solution has most likely already been posted.
UPDATE: A one click rooting option has been developed. You can find out information on it here
Follow the same steps as PC except instead of using windows explorer just use finder (your phone should mount as a external drive)
Note: when renaming the zip file, rename it to update.zip instead of just update
- This should take about 2 minutes to root your phone using your phone.
- Using "Browser", Download the zip file on post #1 at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7185657&postcount=1
- The file will download to /sdcard/download
- Open a program called "My Files" and go to /sdcard/download
- Click and hold on SGH-I897_RootUpdate_(1). A list will appear and click rename. and name it "update" . Do not put .zip in its name.
- Click and hold the newly named "update.zip". List will appear, click Move. Then click move here at bottom. That will move it to /sdcard/
- Turn off your phone.
- Hold down both the volume keys and power key. Let go of the power button after seeing initial boot screen.
- Select Reinstall Packages from the recovery menu using Volume Up and Down to navigate, and Power to select
- The Phone will reboot, and you will have root privileges, and the Superuser program installed.
Q: Halp! I cant find the RoOt!?
A: The root directory is the base of the phone's memory. For example, the root of your "c:\program files" is "c:\".
Q: Which versions of the software will this work for (e.g. JH7)?
Q: Will rooting affect my ability to get official AT&T updates?