Drivers allow your computer to communicate with your phone. The default drivers that Windows automatically downloads just wont do the trick. Samsung Kies is the best way to get drivers if you don’t really know what you are doing or having trouble connecting to your PC. After installing and updating it, it will automatically install the proper drivers for your version of windows and CPU.
1. Go to: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-I897ZKAATT and find the kies download link (under the Software section). It’s a large download so take a break or read ahead.
2. Once it’s done, start the install and follow through as you would with any other program.
3. When the install finishes, start up the program and select Kies in the top left corner. Scroll down and select update. A new window will pop up and sear ch for updates. If it finds any, install them now.
4. Put your phone into developer mode (settings/applications/development and select USB debugging)
5. Plug your phone into your computer; give it a good minute to shake hands. If Kies starts downloading additional drivers, let it. Whenever it’s done installing drivers close Kies and restart the computer.
6. In your system tray (the bottom right hand corner of your task bar) right click the Kies tray icon, deselect both autostart options, and select exit. We won’t be dealing with Kies anymore. You can mess around with it later when you’re bored.
If you’re having trouble getting Kies up and running, here’s a link that goes into a bit more detail: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731454.
Some Windows 64-bit users have reported that Windows won't work properly with the phone until they connect the phone in the USB port in the back of the computer. Some users have further stated they had to use a shorter USB cable, as the Samsung micro-USB cable that ships with the Captivate is too long.
If you don't want to install Kies, you can install the USB drivers directly. Do not run the exe that comes with them. Instead do a manual driver install from device manager. If this is too difficult for you, please stick with kies.
1. SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip (for 32bit windows) http://www.yardimage.co.uk/files/i7500/samsungADB.zip
2. SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip (for 64bit windows) http://zedomax.com/download/GalaxyS_64.zip
The difference appears to be that the second set of drivers allows tethering - it intalls the NDIS driver so your phone is seen as a NIC card when the phone is in PC Connection mode. I am not sure if #2 works by itself or not. I installed #1 first, then discovered the tethering instructions and installed #2. I believe both sets of drivers are available on XDA. However, if you just install kies, you'll have everything the two sets of drivers has to offer.
Q: Halp, I plugged in my phone before installing kies and i now have window's crappy drivers instead of samsungs!? what do i do?
A: In kies, select the top left tab labeled "kies" and then select reinstall drivers, Viola!
Q: Halp, I thought you said the kies drivers would let me tether but I can't, What gives"
A: Follow the directions step by step and don't forget to set your phone into usb debug mode b4 you install the drivers from kies.